PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2021, 14:35
chevvron

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by OUAQUKGF Ops
It was for you chevvron prompted by your memory of the time your family was nearly wiped out by a DC4 or DC6 when you were taken by them to watch the aeroplanes at London Airport...........
Incidentally I used to take the 353 London Transport Green Double Decker from my home near Chesham and change at Slough for London Airport.
Ah didn't make the connection 'cos it was a different thread.
We went to LAP on buses via Uxbridge but on one occasion we returned via your route (we used the 353 regularly every couple of weeks but going the other way to see my grandmother in Berkhampstead; useful route Winsdor to Berkhampstead); I remember because on the Bath Road, we went past an area with radar heads turning and nodding up and down which was the RAF air defence radar unit which actually had nothing to do with airport ops and closed in about 1955 to be replaced by the one at Chenies, a few miles south east of Chesham and just south of Bovingdon.
In 1969 when I started training as an Air Traffic Assistant at West Drayton the associated building was in use for the radar element of London Air Traffic Control Centre which I had visited as a member of Air Britain a few years earlier and was to work in from Jan 1970 to Feb 1971 when radar also moved to West Drayton. Our initial assistant training also took place there but in one of the associated outbuildings.

Last edited by chevvron; 12th Mar 2021 at 09:00.