PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nav lights
Thread: Nav lights
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2021, 12:02
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
This thread reminds me that about 55 years ago, maybe more, we changed from degrees to mils (milliradians) for the purposes of surveying in and aiming (HM's Royal) artillery. 6400 to a circle (for practical purposes) and no more nnn degrees, nnn minutes, nnndecimalnnn seconds and all that blether. And we used metres for all distance measurements.

I know that degrees are dearly beloved and have been used for centuries, and all that, but surely to Himself-Up-There it would save a lot of time and bother if ship and aircraft navigators, chart producers and so on caught up? Maybe we could ditch the Nautical Mile as well. I know. I know, nnn degrees of latitude equals yyy nautical miles, and so you can use the degrees on the side of the chart to measure distance. So what? It's just a scale, and a mils scale would serve equally well. And of course, we could then lose the Knot as a measurement of speed. Happy Daze!

I let my membership of the Institute of Navigation lapse some time ago; pity, really, I could have launched this battle there.