PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stating out
Thread: Stating out
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2003, 17:18
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABFLYER

I think you will find you have to do most of the JAR course with little dispensation for your current licencing. As CC says, call the CAA here in the UK or perhaps email them which might me cheaper.

As for prospects upon qualification it's the same as it has always been for low-houred pilots......difficult. I am not sure on the opportunities in Canada, but here in the UK there are certainly plenty of employers who may employ you with low-hours, but the competition is particularly fierce, especially as any EU national has the right to work here. My thoughts are that you would stand as good a chance as anyone else, the problem being a back-up plan for if the airlines don't employ you immediately upon qualification (quite likely). You need to keep building hours whilst applying, otherwise you are just treading water with more and more newly qualified pilots joining you in the job market each day. It's those few who get a job with low hours and those who enhance their experience that are leaving you trailing otherwise.

Chuffer, you surprise me with the comment
There is still hope for an outbreak of recruitment this winter, but it's not quite happening yet
From where I am sitting there has been a lot of recruitment since the summer, with the distinct possibility of more. It is certainly much better than it has been for a few years. I could list the airlines that are or have been, or look likely to recruit but I'll leave that to you to research.

It all comes down to how much you want it. Spend half an hour each day researching an airline instead of watching Coronation Street and within a month you will have a vast database of info. Make two phone calls a day which will take only 10mins and you will be well on your way. Add to that 20mins of networking via places like this and friends of friends and all of a sudden you are making opportunities for your luck to change.

Send 5 CVs a week and wait for the phone to ring and you will probably still be doing the same in 12 months time. Don't fly because it's too expensive, you can't find the time or because you really think that an airline should be picking up the bill now and you will be one of the many pilots who the dedicated Wannabe yearns to hear of - no competition for the determined character when it comes to selection.

Good (self made) luck.

PP