PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bamboo Air
Thread: Bamboo Air
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2021, 01:36
BANANASBANANAS

Received 121 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by polax52
You know the reality. There are too many Pilots in the World. Employers will always have the upper hand. When you choose to become an expat, you choose to give up the rights and protection that you'd expect at home. Many find that the only tool they have is to abuse their employer on PPrune. Look at Emirates, Qatar, Cathay etc. Yet it's the same people year after year in the same company with the same stories.

If you want to go expat then do it. Don't come back here complaining in 6 months time.

You have the basic info from this thread that you need. Late salaries, No commuting, you pay for your upgrade. If that's alright with you then go for it.
You are quite correct as far as you go but there is, for many, a bit more to the story. I started my expat career in the 1990's and the enhanced, tax free salary, and general terms and conditions made the 'other' factors more than bearable. Since then, of course, the conditions and treatment have got steadily worse while, in real terms, the salary has also gone backwards. However, for a guy currently in his late 40s, early 50s it is still better (less bad?) to continue as an expat rather than go to the bottom of a seniority list (assuming he can find employment of course) back home.

Thankfully I listened to the advice I received on day one of my expat career and saved hard during the good times to build up a war chest to protect my family through the bad times. So, currently I am unemployed in SE Asia and looking for another opportunity, anywhere.We are not worried about paying bills but there isn't a lot left over each month. And yes, I know that puts us ahead of a lot of other people. I have had a great time as an expat and regret very little of it. That said, the sooner we get out of this Covid-19 induced mess the better for us all.