PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government's $1.2 billion 'ticket to recovery' offers 800,000 half-price airfares
Old 11th Mar 2021, 00:35
1A_Please

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Colonel_Klink
I can only speak from my own personal experiences - plenty of my friends who are employed as lawyers, accounts, who manage construction companies and tradies are all saying that business is pretty good at the moment. Most of my tradie mates are saying the last 12 months has been very busy for them.

And my local cafe owner (and we are in Melbourne) who was doing it very tough in the middle of last year says now business is up 20% on this time last year (pre Covid).

So unfortunately I do agree - those in the aviation and tourism sectors are in a bubble where things are still very tough. I don’t doubt there are other industries in similar situations - however there are a lot of Australians out there who have plenty of cash because they haven’t been able to spend as much recently.

I do hope this new government package works out (and I have been pretty scathing of the governments handling of most things to date) - more people travelling is a great thing for the economy overall.
Nearly 90% of those who were on JobKeeper are now off it and the economy is generally doing well except for the obvious struggling sectors. This incentive is aimed at injecting life into both the aviation and tourism sector and, by definition, those regions that rely on them. Of course, you can argue about its breadth and which regions are targetted but generally the sentiment is good. The aviation sector gets a direct hit and hopefully it passes through. Even those in the international side of aviation may get a boost with airlines such as JQ looking at deploying its int'l 787 fleet onto domestic routes and you'd assume QF will do the same with its A330s.

It is clear the government is keen to move beyond the survival period of the pandemic ,which was what JobKeeper was all about, to a new phase where struggling sectors are assisted in standing back up. Sadly, not all businesses will make it but endless subsidies to zombie businesses is not the answer.