PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO needs help from pilots: performance data
Old 10th Mar 2021, 08:14
twhizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATCO needs help from pilots: performance data

Hi there,

I am an air traffic controller and trainer from Austria and I turn to you for your help.

I am trying to create a document for our trainees that gives a rough overview about performance data of different aircraft types. The idea came up recently when I realized that aircraft performance is kind of difficult to estimate for trainees starting out on the simulator training. With 13 years of working experience, I do know what to expect from most types. But during a recent talk to an A320 pilot a few days ago gave me quite a lot of insight about what is possible vs. what is commonly used, and factors that can contribute to a change in performance limits.
In order to collect data from other aircraft, I would really appreciate if you could take the time and fill out the questionnaire below, which I have already pre-filled with A320 data retrieved from the previously mentioned A320 pilot.

I am aware that some variables are dependent on the circumstances (weight, temperature, ...), but please try to give a rough overview. You can also add complementary information to the numbers if deemed necessary (as did the A320 pilot). I am also very happy to read any other information, besides the questionnaire, to learn more for myself and to forward to my trainees.
Please read footnotes below as well.

1. General info

1.1. Aircraft type (incl. ICAO abbreviation): Airbus A-320 / A320

1.2. Airline (voluntary): Austrian Airlines

1.3. Area operating or common destinations (voluntary): Europe

2. Speeds in common cruising levels

2.1. Common cruising Mach number range: .76 - .80

2.2. Minimum cruising Mach number (1): .69 - .71

2.3. Maximum Mach number: .82 (Never selected more than .81, though, and conditions need to be very smooth for that.)

3. Descend speeds (IAS) below FL 290 down to FL 130

3.1. “Common” speed range during descent: 250 - 310 kts

3.2. Minimum clean speed (1): 215 - 235 kts

3.3. Maximum speed (2): 340 - 350 kts (FL 240-; but generally not above 330 kts)

4. Altitudes

4.1. Ceiling: FL 390

5. Climb performance (optional, see footnote 3)

5.1. Climb performance classification (1-5): 3

Footnotes:

1) Please quote a speed range from minimum clean speed under beneficial conditions (e.g. low tonnage) to the minimum clean speed that’s possible in non-beneficial (e.g. high tonnage) circumstances

2) Maximum IAS possible, usually not above FL 250

3) As ATCO, I have a good overview about that myself from experience. But if you have experience with several types of aircraft yourself and you feel able to do a classification, please use the following method:
1 = really bad (e.g. CRJ1, CRJ2)
2 = worse than A320 (e.g. A321)
3 = A320 and comparable
4 = better than A320 (e.g. B737/738, A319)
5 = very good (e.g. B736, A318, several business jets)
You can also give your estimate in between two classifications (e.g. 2-3).

Thank you very much for your help!