PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BUMFFPITCHH.. H?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2021, 19:18
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
The Raj Hamsa XkAir is an ultra light. Because it is an ultra light it is not subject to most of the requirements of a certified aircraft. Ultra lights are also by definition very lightly built and thus have a sad significant history of inflight structural failure.

With respect to the dangers of an opened cabin door coming off in flight and damaging the aircraft I would suggest the instances of ultra light failures do little to inform with respect to that risk in certified aircraft. That being said the case for handling an open door may need to be different in Ultra light.

I personally refuse to fly in ultra light aircraft as I am not comfortable with the lack of a rigorous process to ensure design and construction safety. Since I am not familiar with UL operations please note my comments regarding the appropriate actions for a cabin door open in flight are restricted to certified light aircraft.
In Britain it's a microlight, subject to a lighter touch but still robust approval process. They do not have a significant history of in-flight structural failures.

I have a share of a Bolkow Bo209-150FF Monsun, an aerobatic part 21 CofA aeroplane, that 2 years ago half of the canopy separated from the aeroplane in flight. The pilot, fortunately a very experienced ex-military pilot landed quite safely, but we never did find the canopy. It's presumably under a field near Oxford somewhere. That was a disbonded glue joint.

I'm also aware of a hinged canopy on an EV97 Eurostar SL -a kit built light aircraft - that came open in flight leading to drag greater than the engine could manage and a field landing from Calais airport 4 years ago (there's no official report on that because the French authorities don't investigate accidents on amateur built aeroplanes).

Here's an AAIB report on another kitplane whose canopy came open then detached in flight. The cause was failure to properly secure the canopy catch - something that could readily occur with many certified aeroplanes. There's a good reason for the second H. https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib...sling-4-g-ldsa

The obvious explanation for why you want the canopy secure before landing, is that in the event of a hard landing, that could dislodge an improperly secured door or canopy, creating a distraction at a high workload period of the flight.

These things can happen.

G