PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 operated by Fly Armenia lands in Iran
Old 9th Mar 2021, 15:49
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks a lot Pistonprop for that very interesting "historical" article on the F-14s that explains a lot, I had left F-14s out of my list because I was not aware of any F-14 being "diverted" to Iran for spares since no-one else outside the US has them .I did not know about the US decision to destroy their Mojave desert stored ones and "neutralize" the ones in museums . Very interesting .

For the other types I mentioned earlier there are more airframes of those types currently in Iran than the number purchased before 1979, some if not most of the new arrivals are used for cheap spares . I went in Iran a few times professionally and saw them, they do not hide them ,Tehran .Meharabad airport has close to one hundred parked all around the airport for instance in various states. , Go on Google earth and see some of the inventive parking methods..
Anyway this spare parts chase is most probably soon coming to an end with the arrival on the market of large metal 3D printers that will certainly one day or the other finds its way to Iran via a friendly country.