PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statue of WW1 Indian pilot planned for Southampton
Old 9th Mar 2021, 11:02
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
212man do you mean first you’ve heard of Hardit Singh Malik flying in Italy, or the involvement of the RFC/RAF?

I’m guessing the former, but 28 was part of the force under Plumer which was sent to support the Italians

Singh Malik had been wounded while flying with WG Barker (later WG Barker VC) during an airfield attack in France, but returned from convalescence to the squadron around the time it went to Italy. He developed an allergy to castor oil, which meant he could no longer fly rotary engined aircraft, and was transferred to Bristol Fighters in Home Establishment as a result (subsequently joining 11 Squadron (also Brisfits) back in France).

As SLXOwft says, tairfield attack in which he was wounded but got home saw the groundcrew give up counting the bullet holes in his aircraft when they got to 450. Hardit Singh Malik’s leg had collected one of the rounds, but somehow, none of the others had hit him.

He seems to be another - like Maurice Baring - ‘ commissioned directly by Sir David Henderson’ officer. After the French accepted him for flying training, Singh Malik’s tutor at Balliol wrote to enquire why a Balliol man (who happened to be a Sikh) wasn’t good enough for the RFC. Unsurprisingly, this was the first Henderson knew of the case, so he held a personal interview with him, declared that he was just the sort of chap the RFC wanted and sent him off to flying training.

I’d have to check, but I have a feeling that Henderson in effect said ‘jolly good, you’re now a 2nd Lt’ and his staff were left to sort out the necessary admin. Unlike Baring, they didn’t have to take him to Gieves and Hawkes to get his uniform, but got him posted (in admin terms) to an Indian regiment as his parent unit, attached RFC Special Reserve and he started flying training.

Last edited by Archimedes; 9th Mar 2021 at 16:43.