PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2021, 10:46
Kateosul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian O’Sullivan

Originally Posted by Flingwing47
I brought BJK home to Australia -QF POM SYD To his family.
on board were the GAF chief pilot and engineering team.
an hour into the flight the CP plonked down beside me with a skinful and said “ sorry Rick we thought we’d solved the problem.“ he explained there had been a bad batch of governors on the Allison.
symptoms were that as the power levers were retarded the failure sent that engine to 50% torque.
there had been two cases in Australia - one an army acft at top of descent.
So the prop went to 100% RPM but only 50% torque - regardless of what you did with the TL -
the only solution was to shut the engine down - in the flare Brian didn’t have time to do that - he had already floated a 100 ft so he attempted a rejected landing.
the wheel marks showed a swing to the left, on ground 50 ft.
And with only 1.5 engines working Brian couldn’t out climb the terrain.
Re wheel marks: the Nomad had auto retract of flaps from 40 to 25 when over 50% Tq was applied causing a slight sink before climbing away
the other feature of the N22 was that if stalled in a turn it would flick wings level - but not with assy power.
Sad day.
BTW I flew the first N22 ever in service out of Wewak in 1976, for AT in 1978 (and Talair Madang in 1979)
Correction = that was B55 and BN2 in Madang with Ian Leslie on vacation from my chopper job in Oz - sick huh?
I can see an attempted message but I'm not able to get any messages in this platform for some reason so you could email me at [email protected] if you would like to.
Cheers Kate

I think you can receive Messages after 5 (or is it 10?) posts. Necessary anti spam configuration. Sorry.

Tail Wheel