PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BUMFFPITCHH.. H?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2021, 11:57
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
It'll take me a while to invent a new neumonic......................
Just refer to the one published by the airplane manufactuer in the approved flight manual.

Oh, wait, none to be found there? Probably because the airplane manufacturer, and approving authorities would like you to operate to plane using the procedures and checklists provided as a part of its approved type design. I don't deny that a few mnemonics can seem handy, but I never train them, I train the airplane checklist and procedures, and expect the pilot to refer to them. If they can effectively memorize them, and apply them, okay, if they cannot, get out the checklist (which is the expectation anyway). To me, a mnemonic can become an attempted substitute for the use of a checklist in that phase in flight, and possibly result in something being missed.

I'll usually fly a dozen or so different GA types in a year, sometimes having never flown that type before, and sometimes with a modification, for which I now must include a new checklist item (later to be approved) while I fly. Two of those types will be very familiar (I own them), everything else will be something I either fly rarely, or never before. For my RG, I will always state the landing gear position, and landing surface out loud, twice, before landing (it has no warning system, which I would not rely upon anyway). Otherwise, everything else for it, and my 150, are memory items (I'm kinda used to them by now). But for nearly everything else, I'll be referring to a checklist. I would never try to think up a mnemonic and apply it as a substitute to the use of a checklist. If doing so, and misaplying it, or getting it wrong, resulted in an incident, I really could not explain why I did not use a checklist.

I did my commercial flight test on my own Cessna 150, which I'd owned for more than 15 years, at the time) 15 years ago. Suffice to say I knew that plane very well. My instructor reminded me to actually use a paper checklist during the flight test, or I'd loose marks. Yup! I found one, printed it out, used it for the flight test, and never used it again. But I sure would not have used a mnemonic during the flight test, so why would I use it any other time?