PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The way we were - Ansett, TAA, Qantas
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2021, 11:40
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember arriving at Townsville in 1953 to be a copilot on the old four engine Lincoln Bomber. The Commanding Officer shook my hand and said nice to have you in the Squadron. He then told me that In the air the captain was addressed as "Skipper" notwithstanding he was a Group Captain or a Sergeant Pilot. Also none of this first officer crap. He was the copilot or second dickie or sometimes the Number Two.

The copilot wasn't given a "leg". He was offered the takeoff or the landing. If given a landing it was considered good manners after landing to say "Thanks for the landing" to the skipper. Never saw that in the airlines. More's the pity because it was a nice touch and an acknowledgment that the captain still carried the can if the copilot thumped it on.
Old fashioned good manners made for a good cockpit atmosphere. There were a few pricks as in any organisation. There was none of this nit-picking and point scoring and calling each other "Mate" that occures occasionally in airline cockpits nowadays.

Exits stage left pronto..