PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The way we were - Ansett, TAA, Qantas
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2021, 07:36
By George

Received 74 Likes on 18 Posts
While I agree with the above sentiments you cannot pushback against change. My dear old dad (long gone) was a wartime pilot and tells me how the older pilots laughed at them flying aeroplanes with enclosed cockpits. 'Real pilots need the wind on their face' they would say. Today's crew have skills that match today's needs. In my final year of flying the heavy iron (2019), I admired the young co-pilots dexterity with the FMC, joining an arc from an off-set track and building these magenta circuits etc. I was only interested in a five mile final and totally incapable of anything complex. My initial command was the 727 and it required great care close to the ground and never called you a 'retard' either. Horses for courses I guess. The next generation, belting about in scram-jet thingies doing Mach 3 will look down on the current generation as a bunch of wimps as well. Nothing stays the same, but the one thing that does disappoint me is the drop in personal standards. I can't understand or comprehend this tattoo craze. To see a pretty girl covered in ink just breaks my heart. The good news is, she would not have the slightest interest in me and vice versa. So no harm done. If I may have a final 'boomer moment', boy did we have fun flying the best aeroplanes ever built!