PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birdsville races. No Underwing Camping
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2021, 23:13
runway16

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Birdsville race. Ban on Underwing camping.

The council talks of the cost of looking after the airport and the cost of providing potties, showers security etc.

No where have I seen any mention from Council of the fee that each airborne aircrew and pax pays on arrival to cover those items

Was it Platinium from Victoria the firm that looked after those items with the fee paid by pilots and passengers on arrival in 2019?

Maybe the council needs to be a bit more honest with its figures.

Costs? Sure there may be costs associated with cleaning up the empty cans outside the pub and the security fences put up in 2019 next to the pub but those costs should not be dumped on the airborne arrivals people.

If there is a figure to be paid by the arriving aircrew and passengers then there should be a figure paid out by each and every road traveller that goes to Birdsville for the races.

In regard to safety and security I would feel a lot safer and have better security tenting next to my aircraft than I would feel in a tent city or down by the river. In 2019 we had to got through a security gate next to the terminal and that would prevent tramps beggars and thieves over tent city in town.