PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow before the Europa terminal and Queens building
Old 7th Mar 2021, 06:37
Leovinus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhieminga
Higham's book is indeed a bit dense at times. Have you considered Graham Simons BOAC title? I see that Amazon doesn't stock it right now (you can get a glimpse of the contents though), but the publisher should be able to deliver a copy: https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-...rdback/p/15601
I'll have a look at it, certainly. And don't worry about peddling books! I've already ordered Heathrow - The first 25 years on your suggestion. I'm also trying to get my hands on a copy of David Beatys book "Story of Transatlantic Flight", but it seems to be out of print and unavailable in Sweden where I live. I'm really trying to get a better, more intimate, picture of what flying was like during the 1940-'60s. Who were these people? Why did they fly (both passengers and crew)? What did they experience both large and small? A quote from L.P. Hartley Is very apt in that "The past is a foreign country; They do things differently there". So all suggestions on the subject are definitely welcome. I've been too focused on the technical aspects of aircraft up until now. Flying needs a proper, human, context to go along with it.

I'll also look into the BOAC books being discussed. As luck would have it I find the denseness of Highams book quite welcome, though that's because it aligns with my interests rather well. And even I'll admit parts of it I don't read as thoroughly as the rest. I'll give your and renfrew s suggestions a look.

Originally Posted by ExSp33db1rd
Probably !

Many of my previous colleagues have, I am currently composing an auto-bio for the grandchildren, and including Flying Stories, may expand it one day, but it would be a limited audience of course.

One of my ex-colleagues, ex-Manager, has recently published a book of "apparently" fictitious flying stories based on real events, e.g. he has changed names and locations to protect the innocent, not only of course to protect himself from litigation (!). He has included a couple of my tales. SKY TALK Vol 1 available now, SKY TALK Vol 2 awaiting publication PM Bergerie1 for details.
I don't know about limited audience. I think there are enough who would be interested, and with e-books being both easy to publish and purchase the spread would be wide. I'll have a look see if I can find Sky Talk!