PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow before the Europa terminal and Queens building
Old 6th Mar 2021, 16:17
Sygyzy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Pax B #25

Hi,

Not wishing to be (too) picky but wasn't the Peggy Bedford pub further along the A4 at the point which is now a Mackedees and the left hand fork in the road there takes you into Longford village and the western side if the airport.
There still is a great big pub (name escapes me) at the fork/junction of the A30/A4 but that's much further east - in fact about a mile west of what used to be known as Henleys Corner (IIRC).

Thinking of little security in those days,..My father and I went from Ashford Middx on pedal bikes in ~1954 and entered the airfield via the Beacon Road entrance just along from Stanwell village. (The big green flashing aierodrome beacon was situated there). There were Yorks parked nearby and we climbed into one. Bear in mind my father had no affiliation with the airport. Cop cars whizzed up with bells ringing, ran to the aircraft and asked what (the hell) we were doing. My father replied that it was my birthday and he was thinking of buying one of these fine aircraft as a present, ' Please close the door after you've finished then sir' was the reply.

Those were the days. S

Last edited by Sygyzy; 6th Mar 2021 at 16:19. Reason: spelling!