PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAL 1175 fan blade failure in 2018
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2021, 14:56
zerograv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bergerie1
but I have not heard of any significant handling problems on UAL 328,
It seems the origin of the problem was the same, a fan blade failure. However the resulting damage might have been very different.
From the videos of both events it seems that in both cases the Fan was rotating. The difference might be on how freely they were rotating in each case ?
I would say that in the Denver case the Fan was more free to rotate, resulting in less drag, and therefore a flyable aircraft.
In the Honolulu event, although it seems it was also rotating, with the associated vibration, it might be the case that it was a lot more seized, causing a lot more drag and an aircraft more difficult to fly/control.
The area of one of this fans is huge, and if one of this things seizes completly, then the chances are that one will be in for an interesting day.

It became not exactly clear from the interview whether at low altitude they were able to maintain altitude and speed, they assumed they were not but I understood they didnt try to
Agree with that. Unable to tell, but remember the Captain saying towards the end of the interview that there would be no chance of going around. They were commited to land.

Last edited by zerograv; 6th Mar 2021 at 16:11. Reason: grammar