PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Axes 4,000 jobs
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2001, 02:27
AOG-YYZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Squawk

That is the "War Measures Act" and I fully agree with you. That one piece of legislation reduced us to joining every other state in the Americas of using our own armed forces against the population. No different than Galtieri, Pinochet or Kent State. And if you remember the excuse was that there was an "Imminent danger of insurection" in Quebec. One (crooked) Quebec politician was murdered and one foreign diplomat was kidnapped.

As to your reference to the NDP, well the federal branch of that party enjoys less national support than even Reform/Alliance. The last time they wielded any influence was under the leadership of David Lewiss who, if you remember, kept Trudeau in power. And Gary Doer of Manitoba is the only provincial premier from the NDP, thanks to the preceeding totally corrupt Tory administration.

As to the reference by "Dropp the Pilot" about organized labour I can tell you, having sat across the table from CUPE, IAM and CAW, they are not the ogre you think they are. ACPA and CALPA are, due to their thinking they are not a union and akin to a management association, the biggest pushovers. In fact, like the "Gulf of Tonkin" incident, "Big Labour" was/is a convenient whipping boy and a cover for inept corrupt management, at both airlines. And Air Canada was only slightly better managed than Canadian Airlines.

I hate politcal party supporters, bag men, camp followers and party workers more than I hate politicians.

[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: AOG-YYZ ]