PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In the air, there is no margin for error
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2003, 07:20
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am anti NAS. I can see no justification for allowing one type of operation, VFR, to be in the same airspace as another type of operation, IFR, without both being on the same radio frequency and talking with one another.

I believe the spin doctors of all the anti-NAS groups, CivilAir, AFAP, AIPA, etc. have made a fundamental error. We keep seeing media reports such as:
The National Airspace System allows light aircraft into air space formerly reserved for commercial airliners.
To the best of my knowledge, pre NAS did not have airspace reserved for commercial airliners. Rather, the reality was that most of the airspace where commercial airliners (jets) operated was controlled and all aircraft were required to adhere to the same requirements to carry radio, have a clearance, and most importantly, there was positive separation.

Because of the reporting of this supposed reserved airspace, I believe the PR battle is not being won with Mr & Mrs average non pilot. I'm confident that many will think, "why should they preclude others from the airspace", and I'd have to agree with that sentiment, were it a true refflection of the old system.

So come on you advocates out there, make sure the press stop reporting about the loss of reserved airspace and report the mixing of IFR & VFR in the same airspace, possibly on different frequencies, and where VFR are encouraged to say nothing unless they perceive that there is a conflict, thus removing the IFR pilot from the information and decision making loop.