PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Update-
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2021, 13:12
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
so you agree that you shouldn't be flying it if you can't control it AP out?

I didn't say it had to be in a check ride - many are done in simulators which don't accurately reproduce the handling characteristics of the aircraft anyway.
yepp, i can agree to that.
But always put it into the whole picture.
Putting extra stress on flying AP off - like doing holdings in IMC ie isn’t the way.
But you should be able to get the helicopter back home and down without the Autopilot - and treat that whole procedure as the the emergency as it is put down in section three of the Handbook (according to helicopter type)
On EC 155 ie, easy to fly helicopter with systems on - even an untrained person could be talked through to an landing - what a difference stabilization off.
Easy overcontrolled, if not used to, astonishing how fast nearly five tons can change attitudes from one side to the other and back...
In the FM - run on landing is recommended then...
By now, the section in the FM about the Autopilot, its functions and buttons is thicker than the whole Emergency Part for the Lynx in days I flew it...
And the risk, pushing a button and wondering what the helicopter is doing as a consequence thereafter is actually higher than a failure of the AP itself...
Flying really changed from hands on to managing a flight.
If done correctly it’s really relaxing. You can stay well ahead of the aircraft, monitoring it and pushing in the values you need, having time to look ahead what’s coming next, while the helicopter flies the path you programmed, including climbs, turns and decents