PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 200ftAGL engine out Autorotation video
Old 5th Mar 2021, 11:29
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FH1100 Pilot
Uhhh, what? Low-inertia? I've always heard that the R-44 has inertia like a 206B! What gives?
Come on, you know you could have finished a sandwich during that auto if it had been in a 206

We cannot see the tacho or any of the caution lights. R-44 kids these days sure do love their devices in the cockpit. I ask: How many devices do you need on a hog hunt flight! This kid has one device blocking his view of the mag switch (obviously), and *another* device mounted in such a way that it may have blocked the PIC's view of the caution panel.
While I understand your visceral reaction to a pet peeve, If you look carefully you will see that neither device blocks the pilot's view of any instrumentation. The angle from the camera mounted on the left front passenger's head is in no way indicative of the pilot's ability to see any part of the panel or controls.

Finally, aa777888, you and I will just have to disagree on how "difficult" that EOL was. In my limited experience (11,000 hours) most helicopters come down pretty steeply in autorotation. Like, between-the-pedals steep, especially if you start close to your best-auto speed to begin with. Maybe yours doesn't.
Don't be silly, of course it does. Your posts are normally a lot more even handed, not sure what's set you off on this one. I'm just trying to be kind. We all aspire to a higher standard, but I'm not going to start making skygod/sky king/super-pilot posts about how I could have flown it better, whether or not I think that I really could have flown it better. You have many times my experience, and at 11,000 hours probably many times the experience of most pilots, I'm sure you could have flown it better.

But yet another "helicopters are dangerous!" video will go viral on YouTube
In this day and age it's probably easier to simply ban cameras from the cockpit, since aircraft of all types will always be crashing or flown ham handed. On the other hand, Robinson just made a cockpit camera system a $2500 factory option, so standby for plenty more Youtube and Facebook gold

Originally Posted by gulliBell
Apparently the accident was investigated and it turns out the gun of the front seat passenger knocked the magneto switch from the BOTH position to the OFF position and there was a fault in the L magneto that kept the motor running until it suddenly stopped running.
gB--would you have a link to that report, please?

Originally Posted by RVDT
Its a long time since I flew one of "Franks finest" but operationally or even maintenance-wise I don't remember there being any cause to check whether the mags were actually grounded by selecting OFF as I would guess the engine would stop dead as there is no flywheel effect like a prop.
Correct. There's no reason to do that check normally. If there's a bad P lead that can be detected during the normal mag checks.