PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Update-
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2021, 16:12
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can't stand the heat; keep out of the kitchen.

Don't go IMC unless you are up to scratch.

I've been flying for 39 years
get some time in,

As an example of how things are going I was doing a line check with a training captain on a 332L. He told me that he wanted to see my autopilot out flying and then asked me how and in which order to turn the channels off. I'll bang them all off; was my reply which I did with the cyclic cutout. The aircraft lurched, slightly, once as I placed the cyclic and trim in such a way that I was pushing forward and left to maintain level flight, - the passengers didn't notice.

He spent the next fifteen minutes occupied with looking out of the window in disbelief and turning the gain up and down on the autopilot panel to confirm that the autopilot was in fact out.

Ten minutes later the weather and traffic necessitated an ILS. I started the brief to be interrupted by him inasmuch as I was to re-engage the autopilot. I objected on the basis that if the autopilot had folded during the flight it wasn't going to fix itself for an ILS. No argument; I HAD to re-engage the autopilot. He was the captain so I did what I was told.

I can only assume that he did not have the confidence to take over with the autopilot disconnected in IMC.

That is the new standard of supervisory captains.

Last edited by Fareastdriver; 4th Mar 2021 at 16:40.