PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 200ftAGL engine out Autorotation video
Old 4th Mar 2021, 08:37
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the video, which I only just saw last night on youtube and before i logged in here, it appears his magneto key is in the 2 o'clock position which indicates one mag in use. I know some have said it looks like mags are off but that would mean it hadn't fully sat in the first mag position and then dropped back to a full magneto off position. Possibly after take off it vibrated back? If you listen to the video it also sounds like its only running on one magneto when on the ground before take off. He flicks the key fob out of the way just before he pulls the mixture knob after he's crash landed. (at that moment im also sure he realises his mistake) If you look at the position of that tablet at his left knee, from where he's sitting he won't see the magneto key position in flight. I'm pretty certain this video is going to cause him problems when he goes to claim on his insurance. The insurer will surely state he failed to fly in accordance with the RFM. Pilot error. Oh dear.
As for the MAP gauge going to 25"+ when the engine fails, thats what you'd expect to see.

Last edited by helimutt; 9th Mar 2021 at 08:52.