PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linton on Ouse : The end of an era
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 17:09
Fortissimo

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I went to CFS (Basic) straight from an F4 tour. After the seemingly interminable 6-week ground school we went to do the JP convex with RFS at Church Fenton, as the waterfront was apparently a bit busy. I still vividly recall being told prior to trip #1 that I was not to abort as the aircraft would get airborne eventually. The crushing acceleration when I let the brakes off caused me to wonder about that instruction, but the QFI turned out to be right when the vibration from the runway eventually stopped. A minute or two later I was still in FJ mode and thought I should get busy, but in the absence of radar, rigging and pre-attack checks to do, I decided to try one of those FOEL things they had been banging on about. "Fuel - numbers haven't moved; Oxygen - not required for an hour or so; Engine - still making noise; Location - pretty much where we were when we took off" earned me a gentle rebuke for not taking things seriously.

I got my own back 20 mins later when I was chided for not flying an accurate FL50. I pointed out that I was flying a very accurate FL53, which I had told him was my datum height, and it was FL53 to avoid being hit by the duffers not looking out while they desperately tried to stay S&L at FL50. If he preferred, I would happily wind 10mb onto the altimeter to achieve the same effect. We discussed, I agreed to behave, and he admitted he had been given something else to think about.