PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birdsville races. No Underwing Camping
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 09:23
runway16

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Birdsville races. No Underwing Camping

The North West Star newspaper has reported that the Diamantina Council is to ban underwing camping at the 2021 Birdsville Races. This decision is apparently based on safety and security.

I have been to more than one or two race meets and have never had any issue with safety or security camping under my aircraft at the airport.

The fact that there is a wire fence and one has to have both an ASIC card and a local airport race card to get to or off the airport and ones aircraft prevents just anyone getting to enter the airport and steal from my tent, beside any valuables I lock in my aircraft.

The council has not said what they propose that visiting aviators should do. Are they to be transported to the riverside where the prospect of safety and gear security will be open to anyone?

Who and how are aviators to be transported to and from town during the event? Any hour of the day or night? How many trips will it take to get all your gear from the airport to the river camping? There has been no hard top accomm in town. That was booked out 2-3 years ago.

Any toilets or showers down there?

I think that this idea of no underwing camping is poorly thought out. If it is to be brought in it will discourage a lot of flyers from going to the event.

For anyone planning to go to the 2021 Birdsville races email the Diamantina Council and express your views.

I think that if this rule goes ahead there will be a lot less flyers at the 2021 Birdsville races.