PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Torquay skydive ops
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 04:59
megan

Received 393 Likes on 208 Posts
I could be dawdling along in my new plastic fantastic 1000 feet below the cloud base and all the sudden some parachutist breaks out of cloud and splatters across my windscreen
The first question to raise is why are you bumbling through a piece of airspace where drops are being made? NOTAMS, para ops depicted on charts, radio coms with drop aircraft/ATC.

From the relevant manual,
CASA and the APF have developed procedures that will allow parachuting through cloud under certain prescribed procedures, at site-specific locations. See APF Regulatory Schedule 60.

These procedures are contained in a Cloud Jumping Procedures Manual (CJPM) and the Club you are flying with may have such an approval. If so, you must ensure you are familiar with all the requirements contained within that Manual and that you have the approval of the Senior Pilot to conduct operations in accordance with the provisions in the Manual.

Cloud Jumping Manuals are specific to each Club. These manuals provide exemptions to APF Operational Regulations regarding cloud and visibility, specifying procedures that enable the Club to legally drop parachutists through cloud.

The pilot must have a comprehensive understanding of this manual, as by operating under these conditions, the parachutists are relying heavily on the pilot to accurately spot the aircraft and make the required radio calls to local traffic.

Important: Even though the skydivers may be able to descend through cloud, a VFR pilot must still be able to operate safely and legally, so ensure you can operate the aircraft in metrological conditions suitable to your licence and aircraft restrictions. Consider having an alternate airport available should conditions unexpectedly deteriorate.