PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision Making Models
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2021, 10:51
awair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with @Fired600 & @rudestuff, the simplicity of AAM is also its deficiency: its great when you know what to do, but for beginners it is too brief.

Any model/mnemonic is acceptable, but change is counter-productive. As a gross over-simplification, they are all the same but use different words for each step, with some models combining steps, and others expanding into additional steps.

I like the DECIDE model, because it does “what it says on the tin”, but I don’t know the names of the steps or how to implement that model. Based on the models that I have used, I would suggest that there is lot more integrated CRM training required to effectively use any of these models.

For example, the Time element, sometimes illustrated by traffic lights: is this time critical, how much time is available, or required? Without the understanding of this model, Assess can go horribly wrong.

In my previous company, I was astonished to learn that DM needed to be taught. Don't you just decide: coffee, or tea; chicken, or beef? While these 'decisions' may appear instantaneous, and therefore unteachable, they can still be deconstructed in to a process (time of day, previous consumption, time available, too hot, cost and preference).

It’s also worth considering that prior to an event, some PS & SA may have already occurred, which it ought to, making the decision potentially seem hurried. Most evaluators can see beyond this, but it not really about them.

The goal is to produce a crew that is 'prepared for anything', including something that they were not prepared for!

Good luck.