PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the best route to be a commercial airline pilot?
Old 11th Dec 2003, 22:54
yeboin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say I think on the whole I now regret going to uni. Yeah sure it was a great time, grew up, cheap beer and the rest. However the letter from the student loan people turned up a month ago and now I'm looking at a debt of over 10K before I even start any professional training. I now feel I should have started working at 18 and avoided the student debt in the first place. That way I'd be further up (down) the slippery fATPL slope.

Other guys have mentioned the many plus points of Uni,and they are all correct. A degree does also = backup plan. But what is the use of a backup plan if you know that in your heart all you want to do is fly? To me a backup plan is a like an emergency checklist - what to do when everything has gone horribly pete tong. And it is hard to contemplate failure before you even start. I dont mean to discourage the guys doing A-levels, halfway through degrees etc - yes uni is a good idea and has many good points, but it also carries a hefty financial cost/penalty. This is just the way i feel about the whole go/don't go to uni question where I am right now.

Good luck with your studies guys