PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 23:31
WingNut60

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fl dutchman
My Son, Daughter and Grandchildren are all Australian citizens living in WA.

I have not seen them for over a year now. If the plan is to never have any cases even when the vaccine is rolled out, the borders will have to remain shut forever and I am unlikley to see them ever again.

I am not alone with this situation of course. No doubt it is causing a great deal of heartache for many other people as it is for my family and myself.

As it stands I am not a close enough relative as a parent to get an exception to enter Australia.
If one of them became terminally ill or died its "possible" that I would be allowed in. But we do not want that to happen of course.

I can understand the logic of wanting to keep the borders closed right now, The Australian Government and the State Premiers have done a very good job of Protecting Australian citizens from the virus,

However even with vaccines there will be cases but much less in numbers than without the vaccine. Severe illness and deaths will also be significantly be reduced.

The vaccine should help control Covid while letting society return to normal rather like the seasonal Flu is controlled with a modified vaccine to cope with variants each year. So where is this policy of total elimination going. Is there ever going to be a way out.

Surely the time must come when citizens with overseas close relatives in my case a parent can once again come to Australia to see there family.

Personally I would be happy to Take a covid test before departure to Australia, Produce a vaccination certificate. Go into a 14 night or whatever Quarantine. Get another couple of tests before being released into society all at my own cost.

If 1500 or whatever the number was of Tennis people, Actors TV stars etc are allowed in why are close families being kept apart causing so much misery.

Sorry to rant on but wonder what the general opinion is regarding this.
I do not believe that there is any intention of the federal government to "lock the international borders forever".
You would need to ask ScoMo about that.

But, two genuine questions

a) did you have any intention of visiting Australia in this last year or within the next 12 months or of your family doing the reverse trip in that period?
b) how often would you do so - COVID notwithstanding.