PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restricted Airspace for Drones - Oban, Sound of Mull, Coll
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 14:54
Radgirl

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I have struggled. I really have. But I fail to see any use for this service. I can think of no drugs that are so urgent that there is a need. The idea that Covid 19 tests are an emergency is a joke but in any case if nobody can get off the island what is the risk?? and anyone who thinks you can deliver PPE should come and see the vanloads arriving daily at even a surgery.

I suppose there could be a use for transporting blood although the number of times that is needed for such a population is infinitesimally small and the patient would need transfer to an A and E department anyway. Scottish Ambulance carry blood in their aircraft so far faster than waiting until the approved hour per day. The problem with medical emergencies in isolated areas is that you normally need to transfer the patient to a doctor or nurse who has specific skills. If you just need a drug you can store it in advance.

Whether drones will be safe in crowded airspace remains in doubt. In the Amazon a British company called UAV Aid run 'out of sight' drones which are doing a fantastic job bringing in supplies to nurses who travel for days between isolated communities and only know what they need when they get there. What really browns me off here is the use of 'medical need' as an excuse or ploy to get approval. Why cant companies come clean and admit it is a pure commercial trial? Or otherwise include a couple of paragraphs from the GPs on the island proving me wrong?