PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United B777 engine failure
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2021, 15:27
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fergusd

Yes, really.
Engine manufacturers test a whole blade separation, as that is the worst case scenario for the containment-ring. But a blade tip has much more forward pressure when it breaks, than the whole blade, and can spin out to the front of the engine. And then return and perhaps hit another blade.

I note in another image that there is wing-root damage on the aircraft, so a blade must have spun out of the engine somehow. If there is no breach of the containment-ring (difficult to see), then it must have gone through the forward cowling, taking the whole cowling with it.

Even a blade tip has a lot of energy. I saw a turbine blade from an ALF507, which is only 2 cm long, go straight through the back of the engine and embed itself in the fuselage (over 2 m away).

Update: Looking again at the video, I see no breach of the containment ring on the port side (nearest the fuselage). And I cannot believe that a piece of cowling could stray so far as to hit and damage the wing root. Thus the most likely scenario at present, is the blade missed the containment ring, took out the cowling, and penetrated the wing-root.

An unusual result for sure. But when you set this high velocity debris in motion, it is like making a forceful break on a billiards table - you have no idea where the balls will go...

Last edited by silverstrata; 21st Feb 2021 at 16:52.