PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vfr screen height
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2021, 12:13
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Pilot Dar makes his arguments convincingly but this issue is yet another of those, to which there is no final answer, that satisfies everyone.

85% of aircraft accidents are due to the pilots actions and are not a mechanical failure. Some years ago I was part of a private visit to the AAIB at Farnborough. Serious accident aircraft were laid out in a hangar. The Accident Investigator hosting, stopping at one twisted and mangled assembly, commented: "the tragedy here is not the engine failure itself but the actions of the pilot before and after the failure.

It is a luxury at small airfields to have sufficient runway remaining, during the take-off, to be able to land back on and stop. Obstructions are also often ahead that require a VX climb. At these airfields accidents rarely happen to base operators. Anecdotally, they tell me, and in my personal experiance, that the skills of visitors from much larger airfields are shocking: a poor understanding of short field/soft ground techniques and an inability to climb at VX safely and accurately. Approach speeds are typically uncontrolled and too fast and go around decisions, being mainly a reaction to the looming boundary fence, made too late. All these things are bread and butter for the base operators and provide for safe flying.