PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former Basingstoke Airfield?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2021, 22:46
AirUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrasz, I'm in agreement with you - The area adjacent to the Viables Cottages looks a likely candidate, but Sealo0's suggestion of the Common is an interesting one - thank you for your info Sealo0. Would a town common have been an acceptable place for the AA to use as a (regular?) airstrip however?

Chevron, I see - I'm only just old enough to remember that the M3 didn't reach all the way to Southampton until the early 90s, so I wrongly assumed that all of it was open at once! Your information is very interesting - thank you, I suppose that 1:50k chart is long gone now! So if you are correct, we're proposing a location somewhere in the Brighton Hill/Hatch Warren estates?

nvubu, your transmission was clipped - did you find anything?

old, not bold, thanks for having a look - it's possible that if it was a private or farm strip that it wasn't included I suppose? Or perhaps in a slightly later/1970s edition? There is of course the possibility that only the AA used it, occasionally at that, and therefore there was never a need to widely publish it? That might explain the lack of readily-available information about the location...