PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100 years of Aviation,your best memory?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2003, 18:42
814man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I joined the RAF in 1979 in a ground trade with no particular interest in aircraft or desire to be involved with them, however my first posting was to Waddington where at the time there were still 4 Sqns of Vulcans. I recall many happy hours on the SSA spent watching the display aircraft practicing right overhead, but the one memory that sticks with me most is from late 81/early 82, memory fading a little I’m afraid, but must have been before I left for High Wycombe in March 82.
It was the last full TACEVAL exercise that would involve the whole station and all 4 Sqns before the Sqn disbandment process started. At one stage there was a mass launch of all aircraft which must have been at least 20 plus. My memory is from standing near the taxiway on Bravo Dispersal (opposite Ops where a large crowd of invited guests were stood) and watching one after another of these mighty aircraft taxi past to join the runway and take off. The noise, the vibration in the air and on the ground, the smell of the fuel and the spectacle, the like of which will never be seen again.

And yes before anyone asks, although it had occurred to me to post this earlier, my fading grey memory cells have been sturred into action today by the news about the lottery funding for XH558.