PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS365
Thread: AS365
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2021, 10:10
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by [email protected]
what I mean is that when you fly a Cat 1 ILS, your minima can never be less than 200' - it is a procedure limitation not an aircraft one.

You can only fly Cat II ILS at airports with the appropriate ground lighting and equipment.

Many helicopters are physically capable of flying lower than Cat I limits - it depends on the AP fit but to legally fly Cat II I think you would have to jump through a number of regulatory hoops.

I get the impression you want to fly CAT II ILS using an i-pad or similar, is that the case?
Thanks Crab. Yes I understand what the CAT 1 minima are, and no I’m not flying them on my iPad 😂.

The regulatory hoops you refer to are a special approval for low visibility operations (SPA.LVO). My question is ‘Is the 365N3 certified for CAT II ILS operations?’ I.e. with the regulatory approvals in place. Or, is it limited to CAT I, meaning you would never be granted the approval.

The AW169 RFM, for example, states “The helicopter is certified to carry out CAT I ILS approaches up to 4 degs glideslope”. I would argue therefore it is has not yet been certified to conduct CAT II ILS operations and you would probably not be granted the approval, but I haven’t found such a ‘limitation’ on the AS365. That’s not to say it would necessarily meet the requirements to gain approval...

AMC4 SPA.LVO.100 states The DH for CAT II and OTS CAT II operation should not be lower than the highest of:
(i) the minimum DH specified in the AFM, if stated;
(ii) the minimum height to which the precision approach aid can be used without the specified visual reference;
(iii) the applicable OCH for the category of aeroplane;
(iv) the DH to which the flight crew is qualified to operate; or
(v) 100 ft....

... prompting my question on whether there is a minimum DH specified for the AS365. It has nothing to do with the prescribed CAT I minima of 200ft.

AMC2.SPA.LVO - LVO approval doesn’t specify anything which would automatically rule out the AS365N3 from gaining approval.

Given the number of people who have flown offshore and SAR with the 365N3 my questions didn’t intend to get overly technical, other than to understand whether anyone had ever gained approval to fly to less than CAT I minima.

(Reference to T-PED testing is because the allowable interference with nav kit is stricter if conducting CAT II/III operations).