PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Axes 4,000 jobs
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2001, 18:50
Spenda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOG-YYZ. I appreciate that the alternative to the existing situation involved a substantial amount of American moola. I pondered this at length at the time as I believe one of the things Canada as a nation needs to achieve is to invest more money in its own businesses. However, I would rather have seen American money support a large number of Canadian jobs rather than see many thousands of jobs lost. Apart from the city itself, Canadian Airlines was the largest employer in the city of Calgary. I agree with your prediction that many more job losses are to come and I don't understand how the Canadian Government could have been so short sighted as to allow this. Having said that I can't remember a Canadian Government that did Calgary any favours anyway.

As for the airline chaos situation you describe. I think you'll find it started a long long time ago with a fellow called C. D. Howe. I hope he rolls in his grave when AC goes TU.

Meantime I need to get home in the summer and there is only one major airline that serves Calgary from the UK and I'll be damned if I fly on them. How's that for competition Mr. Colenette? I guess it is knees behind ears time on C3. Ahhh if only Canadian Pacific still had passenger trains and ships.