PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sacked LGBT veterans can reclaim removed medals
Old 17th Feb 2021, 23:38
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't imagine it was that many people - outside the Guards that is..............
Not so. I was at a reunion and chatted to an old chum who had risen to the position of RAF Provost Marshal back in the early 90s (a one star post in those days). From what I could gather much of the SIB's work was involved with investigating cases of suspected homosexuality. Frankly what the SIB does now that homosexuality is no longer a service offence is a mystery to me - it seemed to be their main preoccupation in those days when blackmail was a very real threat. Getting rid of the ban was long overdue, and I certainly entirely agree that anyone who forfeited or was denied a medal should have it restored as soon as possible.

As an aside, it may be of interest that eight recipients of the Victoria Cross forfeited their medal for various reasons, including for the offence of bigamy in one case. Although it is still technically possible to have the Victoria Cross forfeited, this has not happened since 1908. King George V felt very strongly that the decoration should never be forfeited and stated that even if a VC were convicted of murder and sentenced to be hanged he should be allowed to wear his VC on the scaffold