PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust Vectoring Effect on Rate of Turn
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2021, 14:26
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Outstanding, FDR.

I resigned when the Block 15 was meanest mother in the valley, and it was the most produced best I can tell.
At flighthappens.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdr View Post
  • Up in area where 3D maneuver is possible, each driver is trying to get out of plane with the other at the cost of energy loss. The start will have reasonable energy, and altitude permits recovery of energy loss from a bout of TV...

Based on what?
Well based on actual encounters in several conflicts going back to when TopGun school came about and USAF upgraded their Weapons School training. Poof! We got two aces in 1972 before the war ended and turned the stats around. Then look at Desert Storm and Falklands and... and...
The main reason we wanted high E entering an engagememt was as FDR described. Yeah, my turn radius big, rate low, but if I am zooming up and he cannot match that, I can come back down and get my E back with another gee from God. Go see a Raptor demo.

Secondly, thanks to FDR for the graphics graphic.... I want all here to look at the Viper E-M graphic concerning rates, gees and energy. Note that we could maintain over 8 gees until running outta gas using max power and at 380 to 400 knots. For the bat turn, 350 knots better, but not good unless bandit already slow and floundering. Look at the obscene turn rates. Note we could have excess energy and climb while pulling 4 or 5 gees. Gotta tellya, first time others engaged they were impressed. That was us 40 years ago. At the Lossiemouth Bomp Comp back in early 80's, our team shot down 80 bandits upon ingress and exit while only losing one.

...Gums sends..