PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust Vectoring Effect on Rate of Turn
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2021, 23:30
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Good points, FDR.

When you do the Boyd type equations and tactics, then try to fly them, I found that the turn rates and some of the nose pointing was better in the Viper due to the stabilators increasing lift toward the center of your turn regardless of bank angle. Let's face it, no body fights in a bandit gathering level turn regardless of how many gees you can pull or your turn rate. So more lift toward the center helps you, and my rule of thumb equation is decent.

gee=vee^2/radius where radius can be derived using speed and turn rate radius=vee/rate

You can see that the converse can be used to get either radius or rate. And guess what? The more gee you can pull without stalling has a good effect on rate or radius.

I first noticed the nose pointing issue when flying versus the Eagle at slow speed. Stall was not a limit for either of us, but our AoA limiter was a biggie. Ditto versus the Hornet or Tomcat.

So maybe the thread should emphasize body rate versus turn rate, as a delta like I flew early on could move that nose at obscene rates and I wasn't turning in space worth a hoot! And was rapidly becoming a strafe target for the bandit's wingman.

... Gums sends...