PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL theory exams UK - how are the new exams?
Old 16th Feb 2021, 14:28
Happy Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a GR(A) (now Invigilator) for the new e-exams, I'd agree that the process has settled down a bit now, but we had teething problems in the beginning that meant we were actually late starting. Once you can get your head around what's involved and required and you're reasonably PC/tablet-literate, it not too bad. The move towards an e-based system is certainly welcome and I for one am glad we've finally done away with paper, commensurate with advances elsewhere in the industry. There are a myriad of guidance notes supplied by e-exams for the various roles involved in the systems (admin, schedulers, invigilator etc) which really need to be read and understood for things to work smoothly. I'd also agree that the questions are a lot harder compared to what we've seen before, and unsurprisingly this had reflected in some failed exams. I've got mixed views on this tbh - we have had instances where question content can't immediately be traced back to learning objectives and text books and do sometimes place a question mark on the marked relevance to PPL flying; on the other hand, the unpredictability of questions does (pleasingly) mean that candidates now have to learn the subject matter rather than the questions which surely makes them better all-round pilots and also better-prepared for the ATPL theories that follow. Under the previous paper-based system, the likes of 'PPL Tutor' and other study aids removed the complexities involved and enabled candidates to take and pass exams without any real effort required, aside from memorising the questions. I'd say that is very much not the case now.