PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recovering Windows files from HDD
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2021, 08:52
Uplinker

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts
Thank you very much for the replies so far. Some useful information to get me started - I will certainly look into those

Ironically, my mis-step with the BIOS came about because I was trying to prepare a second HDD to back up the first one, in case of HDD failure !

My old 486 PC tower has a 3" floppy drive and a CD drive. Nothing else, no USB. I do still have the Windows floppys but have not tried them to see if they are still viable. On start-up, the machine first looks in the floppy drive, then the CD drive.

I would like to get the machine running again - it cannot connect to the internet, so is safe from any hacking or spyware etc. Another thing I would like to recover are the back-up files for my Psion, which contained a lot of contacts and other data I would like to recover.

I am thinking of building Windows on another HDD fitted into the spare slot and wiring in the PC, and then possibly internally move the files I need from the old HDD with no boot file over to the new HDD?

I did take my PC to a guy who really knows what he is doing, but unfortunately he is also very unreliable. He takes on too much work and then leaves things stacked up in his workshop, forgotten about until you demand they be returned, (unfixed). I could Google it of course, but I want actual advice from people who know, rather than me spending ages going down rabbit holes and watching Youtube clips from people who don't know what they are doing.

Once I have sorted the leaking plumbing in the house we have just moved into, and a hundred other DIY jobs; I hope to get started with my PC.

Last edited by Uplinker; 16th Feb 2021 at 09:05.