PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final Report: April 2018 737 high speed aborted TO
Old 14th Feb 2021, 13:01
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gordomac

GO after V1 in case of an engine fire is SOP, what are you talking about?
I say GO before/close to V1 if both engines give normal thrust, even with a fire warning. I'm pretty sure you have never departed for a snow/ice contaminated runway with max flap setting, max thrust and close to 0 stopping margin. I know that any given braking action is a best guess. I know that braking action is not the same all over the runway. I know that conditions can change very fast. I know that if I abort at V1, chances are I will go off the end and people will die.
On the other hand, I know that an engine fire is really an overheat. It may just be a bleed leak. I know that if I continue, I will be airborne well before the runway end. I have performance to shut it down in the air, and odds are the fire warning will go out. I then have a full runway for landing and stopping.
And before you say I should not depart when conditions are like this? This is what I do. This is part of my job for months every winter. I'm paid to use my brain, not to be a SOP monkey.

I had a simulator instructor once who told me the most importance thing to get done if you depart and the aircraft is filled with smoke, are the procedures. I asked if maybe getting the aircraft on the ground ASAP should be a priority? No, then you are not legally protected, was the answer.
So you and landflap prefer to flop around in the ice water with dead bodies floating around you, because thats what the book tells you to do.