PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How good is Alliance!!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2021, 07:12
TinFoilhat2

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Why bring politics into it?

Yes TFH2, you’re quite right that Alliance can employ whomever they want. It’s their right. But QF have asked Alliance to operate these Jets for them. As a condition of the deal they require at least some (not all) of their stood down pilots to be given those jobs. If Alliance said no, that they want 100% control over hiring, QF could just as easily say “righto, we’ll find another lease provider then who’ll meet our requirements.” Therefore Alliance misses out on that opportunity altogether which harms their pilots too.

That’s how business negotiations work. Qantas has arranged multiple leaves of absence for their pilots for several years at a time over the last decades for many reasons. These have been down with countless airlines both in Australia and Overseas. This isn’t a new or uncommon thing at all.
You are right QF could have just walked away but chose not to because Alliance are a good airline with a sterling reputation. QF would not have walked away though even if Alliance said no because it’s just business to them. They needed this flying done on a smaller jet and Alliance was the best option.

The hiring of QF long haul pilots was merely an added bonus, not so sure why many got upset when this was pointed out. Some were acting like they could not believe a QF pilot might not be first choice. I’m pretty sure most jet pilots in Australia regardless of the airline are all of a pretty similar standard.

However if you still feel I hate QF and their pilots so be it, really no skin of my nose.