PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Update-
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2021, 03:10
megan

Received 392 Likes on 207 Posts
But did Ara really not have a current IR? And I guess even if he did, an issue would be his IMC currency. Pretty extraordinary to be flying an S76 without surely?
It was a VFR only operation, so no need for him to have an instrument rating, even though it was a fully equipped 76 he was driving. The only thing I can find in the docket is mention of 75 hours instrument on a document dated 3rd July 2019 (a little over six months prior to the accident) He had received his instrument rating in October 2007 with simulated instrument listed at 68.2 hours in a R-44, a number of check flights in the 76 record instrument elements checked including ILS & VOR approaches. On the face of it then he had done 6.8 hours, probably simulated and likely in the 76, so when he found himself in actual condition on the accident flight it is likely it was the first time ever. Little wonder then that he came to grief given lack of both currency and exposure to real IMC. Never found simulated IMC in the 76 realistic, you always had a view of the outside somewhere.
We are left to forever wonder why
Not in my mind, given what I've written above the result is about what I'd expect.