PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most distinctive and charismatic engine sound?
Old 13th Feb 2021, 17:31
condor17

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No wonder I’m deaf ....

Merlin on a Spit is 1st aviation memory in ‘58

74’s Lightnings’s Avons at Colt BoB 1960

Hercules on Nav. training Varsities out of Stradishall Mid 60s , rising rumble from the West , overhead , turning over Gt Yarmouth , to fade away Northbound . Followed by a second , third , .... by then I’d fallen asleep dreaming of Wellingtons and 1000 bombers .

RR Continental O-200 on 1st solo 1971.

1974 Junior F/O on V. early turns . LHR just skylarks on an early spring morn as walkround commenced , a slow turn building to a screaming crescendo as our T1’s Garrett APU wound up . By the time I was around the a/c , 1st of Viscount’s 4 Darts would be winding up , followed , by the sewing machines of BAC S111 Speys . Later that year the big diesel sounds of Rb211-22bs of our 1st Tristars , rumbling away on start up . Only a/c I’ve been on which sounded the same inside and out .To round it all out from inside , last manual throttle, full power t/o into retirement of 4 Rb 211-524Hs , more about thrust than noise . A farewell walk around afterlanding has the clattering of fan blades on a summers breeze etched into memory .

At the moment any a/c gets our heads turning skywards , especially an Hunter’s Avon blue note a few weeks ago .

Rgds condor