PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Richard Branson: It's always worth the challenge
Old 11th Dec 2003, 09:21
Buster Hyman

Evertonian

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts
Thanks elektra. It's very kind of you to rate my opinion so highly, however, it's not necessary. Nobody in aviation needs my approval.

Where to begin???

RB had zilch to do with Ansett's demise...Well, indirectly, you'd be silly to say DJ had no affect on AN's circumstances. I could say that he had a chance to buy AN & didn't. Got himself a jolly good look at the books though, may have helped him sleep a little easier.

greedy pilots and inept management ...Don't know about the pilots, sounds too much like an 89 comment so I won't go there. Have no problem with the inept management bit. They're the ones who got AN there, Sir Dick was the one who profited from it, amongst others. (No right or wrong with that in itself, just an observation.)

Sir Reg ...Yes, but I don't seem to recall Sir Reg "running off" with billions in profits. DJ, to me, is a hit & run job. He's made a quick profit & he's now relinquished a fair chunk of it to Patricks (a stevedoring company) & the Mum and Dad investors. He reminds me of Abeles sometimes.

international operations ...Ouch! Does VS024/02APR88 ring a bell? Regardless of the circumstances, $hit happens in aviation. I'm sure the CRM in both incidents were miles apart, but everyone walked away. I understand your point though.

jobs to lots of people ...So the deficit is approx 13,000 since AN's collapse. That's good huh?

affordable flying ...QF seems to match them most of the time I've looked. But QF staff will pay the price of matching DJ with potential redundancies and, again, a further reduction in jobs & conditions. You may refer to your greedy pilots quip at this point, but spare a thought for the workers at the other end of the scale. Some of which could not read or write English, but they managed to buy a home, raise their kids & get them an education that they lacked. I knew quite a few at Tulla & there are still some at QF.

self opinionated jerk...Now you're talking! You are quite correct. He does get things done, he pushes things through, he protests loudly when it doesn't go his way & he takes his bat & ball home with him when he loses.

Time will tell.