PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boss Sacked for low flying?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2021, 08:34
Box Brownie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The attached photo of the F4 was taken at a Gaydon air display in '76 0r '77. Just before MOD sold Gaydon, a set of trials took place involving F4s approaching the airfield from below the ridge

.near to the village of Kineton, which has a large secondary school. I was teaching metalwork there and recall being next to a window in the workshop when there was a sound and all I saw ( can still picture it today) was a glimpse of a navigator's white helmet with a dayglo sticker on it. The attendance officer appeared a couple of days later complaining of one Phantom going across the front of his car without warning. Cycling home one day in the 80s at the base of the ridge, I dismounted ( thought I was fit in those days!) and was aware of a Canberra pilot eye balling me from zero feet. Dad was admin with 39squadron ( Mosquito NF32) at Fyid in 1951. He would regularly fly with a W.O. Preston, ex WW11. On one occasion they were met on landing and taken separate ways. He had no recollection of going down the deck of an aircraft carrier at nought feet.

Last edited by Box Brownie; 13th Feb 2021 at 09:25. Reason: word deleted