PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW counter-terrorism helicopter
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2003, 07:33
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Re NSW counter-terrorist helicopter...............

(cockpit guns topic should definately be moved to another thread)

I am fascinated with the lack of comment on this thread, and with the lack of public debate about it's introduction.

Was an independant mission analysis conducted? Is the reasoning behind the purchase open to the public?

I hope that they are labeling the thing a "counter terrorism" helicopter in order to sensationalise the purchse and jump on the band wagon of Sept 11 to acquire new toys - which I believe they did desperately need. BUT, surely even they cannot seriously consider that this machine is acually appropriate for counter terrorism.

To suggest that one BK117 is a tactical assualt asset is ABSURD. John Eacott, I cannot agree with your assesment that "the machine is well suited to the task" if you are talking counter terrorism. Ridiculously small access doors, the ability to insert the overwhelming(!!) firepower of four or five blokes, no defensive capability, no armoured components, poor cockpit visibility, no NVG, etc etc etc. Wire Strike is waaaaay down the list. How about the fact that the money was spent when one of the world's premier counter terrorist force, the SAS, is on the doorstep? Hands up those who would rather the NSW police and their BK are sent into rescue your son/daughter/mother from some nutcase terrorist whilst the SAS watch the news broadcasts?

Lets examine the other roles stated above, HazChem, Bomb Squad, and troop transport. This is where the helicopter is desperately needed, and I reckon that if they had to jump on the counter terrorism train to get it, then well done - because the outcome justifies the means. The intresting thing about those other roles, however, is the lack of suitability of the machine for the task - although I agree that it can perform them to a limited extent. For example, I would be suprised if a BK could carry a HazChem team in one hop, or even the old bomb squad robots, and as for carrying 10 troops - I dont think so.

I would say that a B412 may have been far more appropriate, although for the money they are talking, I am guessing that it would be excluded on budgetary grounds. It has the large cargo friendly cabin, big sliding access doors, up to 9 tactical troops and crew, 13 pax plus crew, lots of grunt, etc. It seems a shame that the NSW government did not provide them with the necessary funds to do the job properly. Seems to be the way of the police - ask them to do more, but equip them to do less.

So what else? How about a B212? BK priced, 412 cabin space and lifting capacity. How about three or four UH-1H? 412 cabin space, better than BK lifting capacity, same cruise speed, comes off the shelf with NVG cockpits, wire strike for John, etc. Might even be able to support the Fire Brigade too!! Or how about from left field - a Mil 17? Running costs you yell? Fair enough.

But they do seem to have spent a lot of money for little gain in capability over that already offered by their AS355N.

I have now gone into hiding...............