PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2021, 08:13
currawong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KRviator
I don't want 500 cases, however, as to why I would want to?

Maybe to keep Australia as one nation, rather than the 6 different micro-nations we have become. Maybe to give certainty to everyone from tourist operators to airlines to Joe Q Public and his dying father that 'ol Joe can get to his funeral. Maybe because I live in NSW and work in WA and would like to actually get paid at some point to keep my house - because I have not been to work for nearly a year, am not eligible for JobKeeper (employer turnover hasn't dropped enough) and am not eligible for any Centrelink benefits ("You're still employed, you haven't resigned nor been sacked".) Maybe because I don't consider it fair for NSW to have brought home tens of thousands more Australians than any other state with the risk of an HQ-breach that that entails - yet they are getting screwed over time and time again by Premiers who won't do their fair share. Maybe because I think people should themselves take responsibility for their healthcare & wellbeing instead of praising scumbags like McGowan "who kept us safe for so long". Or maybe it is because I firmly believe if you give a politician an inch, they'll take a mile. People endorsing the locking out of 30% of Australia's citizens over one case, whose source is known only reinforce such punitive measures remain acceptable for the smallest infraction of anything the CHO, Police Minister (in his role as EMO) or Premier might dream up in future, and I think that is wrong.

Take your pick of any of the above. If there is a genuine risk, fine. One case in 8.5 million people is not a genuine risk to a state that warrants a border closure, no matter how you try to show it is.
So wash your bloody hands, wear a mask and don't sneeze over people in the food court at the local shops. Take some responsibility for your own wellbeing instead of expecting Australia to bend over and take it up the asre "to keep you safe".
Hang in there mate.

Things will turn a corner, for the better, in about 18 days.

Just have to keep a lid on it till then.