PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or not? (Merged 2013)
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2021, 11:28
Olympia463

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread has moved away from the OP's request I think. However I agree that if your particular career does not actually need a degree then don't get one. However since I joined the rat race (in 1954) the goalposts have moved. Time was, before mine, you could actually spend your whole working life in one sort of job. My father did, and went from office boy to Chief Accountant on the railway. I have had seven different jobs in engineering from aircraft engines to laser guidance via heavy engineering, machine tools, photocopiers, and tank sights. What you should get from a degree is the capability to pick up new things quickly and know how to find out what you need to know. The parting words of the Dean of Engineering on day one at my university were "Gentlemen (we were all men) if there is one thing I want you to learn here on your way to a degree, it is how to learn quickly and how to use a library." Nowadays the last bit would be how to use Google I suppose.
It also puts your feet on the ladder a few rungs up at the beginning of your working life. The way airline flying is going right now I would be for studying something else (a science subject for choice) and join the UAS if they have one or a gliding club.Quite a few of the people I taught to fly on gliders went on to being airline pilots.

I have to agree with the poster who could see little value in a PhD. For other than academics this is true. I have met more thick PhD's than any other class of graduates.